Ikorodu-Oga Day Educational Fund (IKODEF) has doled out scholarships to eighteen students from different tertiary institutions in celebration of the 26th Ikorodu Oga Day.
Speaking on the rigorous process involved in selecting the eligible students out of the multitude that applied for the scholarship, Chairman, IKODEF, Professor Kunle Ade Wahab, stated that the scheme, set up in 1995 with ₦500,000 to assist indigent students in Ikorodu, was resuscitated with ₦1,000,000 by the current chairman of Ikorodu Oga Development Association (IKODASS), Otunba Ganiyu Abiru, in order to increase the number of beneficiaries.
While urging the recipients to be diligent in their educational pursuit, Pro. Wahab said that “the aim of the scheme is to cushion the financial pressure of the beneficiaries’ education on their parents.”
Earlier in his welcome address, Otunba Abiru said that it took his administration, having assumed office as the new chairman of IKODASS in August, the shortest possible time to prepare for the Oga Day Celebration which according to him, he has repackaged with the theme, “Cultural Rebirth as a Veritable Tool for Youth Development” and aimed at catching the youth segment which constitutes sixty percent of the population.
Otunba Abiru enjoined Ikorodu indigenes in diaspora to support IKODASS which unifies all segments of Ikorodu for the socio-economic and cultural development of the town and Ikorodu at large, promising that his administration would be prudent, transparent and accountable with the resources in their care.
The Ayangburen of Ikorodu, HRM Oba Kabir Shotobi applauded Governor Akinwunmi Ambode for his laudable achievements as seen in infrastructural development across the State, noting that the restoration of peace and normalcy in Ikorodu and its environs after months of being under the siege of the “Badoo” Cult would make all Ikorodu indigenes and residents to be in the forefront of the champions of the reelection campaign of Governor Ambode come 2019.
Similarly, Governor Ambode, represented by Commissioner of Local Government and Community Affairs,Hon. Muslim Folami, described Ikorodu-Oga Day as a celebration of the rich cultural heritage of Ikorodu.
The governor stated that the salient lesson the victory over the “Badoo” cult has taught everybody was that with resilience and unity, Ikorodu will advance, adding that the repackaging of Ikorodu Oga Day, which reflects inclusion, meant that Ikorodu people should “Think local, act global” in order to make the event better and bigger next year.
The event, which featured the investiture of Engr. Kayode Anibaba as the new patron of IKODASS and conferment of Merit Award on Hon. S.O.B Agunbiade for their tremendous contributions to Ikorodu community, also witnessed the donation of a Toyota Pick-Up van to the Onyabo Vigilante group by Mr. Steve Adewale Anifowoshe who chaired the occasion.
LETS EMBRACE THE DEVELOPMENT OF THE FUTURE IN THE UPCOMING GENERATION FUTURE OF IKORODU
Below are the details of the award of the scholarships:
- Form No Names : Course : Institutions :
- 070 Ogunbowale D.B Elect. Elect Gateway ICT Poly
- 068 Adedipe Z.M Chem. Engr. UNILAG
- 011 Jokomba A.H Community Health L.S College of Health
- 064 Aluko S.O Physiology UNILORIN
- 12 Adetayo A.A Chem & Ply Engr. LASU
- 035 Abagun O.I Mech. Engr LASU
- 034 Oyebo L.A Criminology UNILORIN
- 069 Gayi T.F Guidance & Counseling UNILAG
- 039 Adeyinka S.O Criminology UNILORIN
- 051 Oladunni Z.A Medicine & Sugery LASU
- 077 Apenah J.O Guidance & Counseling UNILAG
- 044 Amodu O.A Political Science EKSU
- 009 Wahab A.G Accounting UNIBEN
- 002 Liasu T.S.A Medicine & Surgery LASU
- 031 Oduntan N.O Banking & Finance LASPOTECH
- 041 Aroyewun Adeleke LAW UNILAG
- 060 Akintola A.A Medicine & Surgery LASU
- 067 Adedipe R.F Enterprenuership Osun State Uni.