Integrating Ikorodu in Diaspora, youth development,
civic centre, publicity top plans
ADDRESS OF THE CHAIRMAN, IKORODU OGA DEVELOPMENT ASSOCIATION, OTUNBA GANIYU OLUSEGUN ABIRU AT THE SWEARING-IN CEREMONY OF THE ASSOCIATION’S EXECUTIVES AT IKORODU TOWN HALL ON 27TH AUGUST, 2017.
- The past Chairmen of the Association (IKODASS)
- The newly sworn-in Executive Members of IKODASS
- The immediate past Executive Members of IKODASS
- President/Chairman of registered clubs here present
- Distinguished Leaders of the Community in our midst
- Members of the Fourth Estate of the realm
- Highly respected Ladies and Gentlemen
Here again this afternoon, a history has been made in our stride at accelerating the socio-cultural, political and economic development of this blessed town called Ikorodu. But before I proceed further, let me first and foremost, give thanks and praise to Almighty God who in His kindness has made today a reality. May His holy name be praised at all times. Permit me also to quickly appreciate the immediate past Chairman who recently celebrated his 80th birthday a few days ago. May the good Lord continue to bless him with good health and make his children the comfort of his eyes. Through him, I extend my felicitation to his team they have really done their best in moving the Community forward. It is my prayers that God will bless their endeavors.
With my acceptance speech after the election of 2nd July, 2017, wherein I attempted to catalogue the plans and programs of this present Administration, I do not think there’s any need for speech making as that speech contained and encapsulated all that needed to be done at least for the first year, however, for the purpose of officialdom, it is apposite that I highlight our policy direction. Let me re-iterate that we are as a team, committed to all that were enumerated in the acceptance speech; but will want to add that the progress and development of this Community will be further enhanced if everybody, particularly our elite join hands with this Association in the prosecution of its plans and programs. On this note therefore I want to publicly appeal to our brothers and sisters who are richly blessed and with amplitude of means to please come forward and identify with the aspirations and goals of the mass of people of this town whatever the Association must have done to cause severance of your relationship with it should please be forgiven and forgotten. This is a new dawn for development and integration. We must not allow the string that binds us together to cut……READ MORE
SPEECH DELIVERED BY OTUNBA GANIYU OLUSEGUN ABIRU CHAIRMAN IKORODU-OGA DEVELOPMENT ASSOCIATION (IKODASS) AT THE PRESS CONFERENCE HELD ON WEDNESDAY 20TH SEPTEMBER 2017 AT 10:00AM
It is delightful to welcome you to the 26th edition of the yearly Press briefing on the Ikorodu Oga Day celebration coming up as scheduled on November 11-18, 2017, but before I proceed further, I will like to announce the dedication of this address, first and foremost to those young and pro-active youth who in their wisdom found it expedient and patriotic between 1991/1992 to come up with the idea of an annual celebration that would be bringing together all sons & daughters of this glorious town, not only in Nigeria but also in Diaspora .
These precocious youths who were from various Clubs and Associations deserved to be commended. Of equal importance were the contributions of the respected elders who took up the lofty idea of these young people, moulded, fashioned and re-packaged it to become something we are all proud to be celebrating today. These men of honour both living and dead are remembered today. Forever will their memory remain evergreen and their contributions indelible in the annals of this Town. On behalf of the sons & daughters of this town, I want to thank them most profoundly. The Ikorodu Oga Development Association since inception in 1991 has continued to improve both in scope and contents. This year’s ceremony would further attest to the fact that our desire to make it a tourist attraction is very much on course.
On this note it is apposite to briefly inform you the thinking of our founding fathers (which of course are still relevant till date) in coming up with annual Oga Day/Carnival.
- To provide an opportunity of fellowship, that is Ikorodu indigenes who have been
separated by virtue of their vocation and businesses, particularly outside Ikorodu, can use the opportunity of the celebration to come together for convivialities and a reunion.
- It affords the indigenes an opportunity to know each other and by extension know the position, status and possibly, offices of responsibility held by Ikorodu indigenes
– A veritable source of rendering assistance,
– Through the Merit award the Association gives annually, a window of opportunity was given to the indigenes of this town to know their fellow indigenes who have made impact in their professional calling or businesses.
– To promote our culture to a level of tourism, thereby enhancing the economic potentialities of the town.
– To provide encourage and create a conducive environment aimed at facilitating self fulfillment and actualization among our teeming youth.
Ladies and Gentlemen, oftentimes people have always erroneously restricted the functions of this Association only to planning and organizing Oga Day, not knowing that our functions include among…..READ MORE