Alhaji Kolawole Fatai, Deputy Chairman, Ikorodu – Oga Development Association (IKODASS) (4th right), Mrs. Basirat Akinsanya, Vice Chairman, IKODASS (4th left) and other members of the IKODASS Executives and members unveiling the 2020 Ikorodu –Oga Day logo at the Ikorodu Townhall on Tuesday.
This year’s celebration of the annual Ikorodu – Oga Day, which is one of the State recognized festivals, will be low key, no thanks to the COVID – 19 pandemic that is still ravaging the world.
Ikorodu – Oga Development Association (IKODASS), the organizers of the annual carnival, announced this today at a press conference held at the lkorodu Town Hall, to officially unveil the logo and activities for the 2020 edition of the celebration.
Addressing selected members of the press, IKODASS Deputy Chairman, Alhaji Kolawole Fatai, said that activities like parade, awards, Oga nite, market/public service/artisans day, Miss/Mr Ikorodu nite, Children’s Day among others that Ikorodu residents and indigenes, both home and abroad, always look forward to will not be staged.
Instead, the socio-cultural group is planning to organize a public lecture with the theme: ‘Ikorodu: Double Pursuit Of Socio-Economic And Political Relevance’, which has been slated for November 21.
Other events that will mark this year’s event are commissioning of boreholes/generators in three councils and provision of uniforms/bursary awards for indigent students.
“This year’s Ikorodu – Oga Day event, based on the prevailing circumstances not only in Nigeria but all over the world, will be marked on a relatively low – key. Unlike the previous years, this year’s edition will be without the usual glitz and glamour”, Alhaji Fatai said.
- “We will, however, mark it with three events to keep the spirit of the celebration alive.
These events are:
- “Commissioning of boreholes/generators for three Primary Schools in Ikorodu Central Local Government, Ikorodu North, and Ikorodu West Local Council Development Areas.
- “Provision of uniforms/bursary for indigent pupils within Ikorodu community and;
“Public lecture with the theme: “Ikorodu: Double Pursuit Of Socio-Economic And Political Relevance”, which will be held on November 21, 2020, at the Ikorodu Town Hall.
- “Ladies and gentlemen, the effects of the COVID – 19 pandemic have been overwhelming. The disease has redefined our socio-economic and even political lives and, therefore, our theme for this year’s event has been carefully chosen to be in sync with the mood of the nation.
- “Public lecture with the theme: “Ikorodu: Double Pursuit Of Socio – Economic And Political Relevance”, which will be held on November 21, 2020, at the Ikorodu Town Hall
- “Ladies and gentlemen, the effects of the COVID – 19 pandemic have been overwhelming. The disease has redefined our socio – economic and even political lives and, therefore, our theme for this year’s event has been carefully chosen to be in sync with the mood of the nation.
- “It is our belief, therefore, that a reversion to our culture in terms of cleanliness, obeisance to authority’s regulations, good neighbourliness, love etc , to mention a few, will eventually bring about an end to the scourge”.
Alhaji Fatai said that IKODASS will continue to propagate cultural values of Ikorodu and champion its socio – economic and political developments.
- “As an institution aimed at enhancing and upholding our culture, we will, in our efforts, continue to agitate for accelerated development of our community through our cultural heritage.
“In line with our usual practice, every edition of the annual celebration is marked with a special logo and today, we are going to officially unveil the logo for 2020 Oga Day”.